Sunday, June 22, 2014

"How in the World Will I Find the Time to Do All This Stuff?": My Unrealistic Schedule and Lack of Much-Needed Guidance

It's 3:00 AM and I'm going crazy. That's such a typical university student thing to say, right? I don't know why I keep doing this to myself, but I feel like all I ever do is make unrealistic goals. I just wrote out an entire schedule of everything thing I wish to accomplish on a
daily and weekly basis for the rest of the summer. And now that I'm leaving for Chicago in four hours, I'm realizing how I'll never find the time to do all the things on my list. It's sad enough that I'll be spending almost twelve hours cooped up in a car all day; I won't be able to use my computer to accomplish the things I want to accomplish. Luckily I'll have my Kindle, iPod, and iPhone to keep me busy. Isn't it miserable how much our society relies on technology to keep us from getting bored on a road trip? But I digress. I'm driving myself crazy with these goals, I feel like I'm getting nowhere.

Since you're probably curious about all the things on my list, I might as well publish it here for the world to see.

Online: Daily
> Read favorite blogs (see the links in my sidebar) -- 2 hours
> Write on blog three times a week -- 1 hour per post
> Check email twice (once after 7:00 AM, once after 7:00 PM) -- 15 minutes
> Watch Puni Puni lesson videos and take notes -- 1 hour
> View Tae Kim's Guide to Learning Japanese and take notes (try to complete one lesson) -- 1 hour
> Complete one lesson on Hogwarts is Here -- 1.5 hours
> Watch at least one MLP episode each day -- 30 minutes
> Pinterest -- 45 minutes
> Facebook -- 15 minutes
> Twitter -- 15 minutes

Offline: Daily
> Journal/write/to-do list -- 45 minutes
> Complete 1-2 pages in Puni Puni Hiragana workbook -- 30 minutes

Online: Weekly
> Complete one page for website -- 1.5 hours
> Complete one chapter on Pottermore -- 1 hour

Offline: Weekly
> Read one chapter in Medicine Wheel (corresponds to the page you create) -- 30 minutes
> Read and record one chapter for dictionary project -- 45 minutes
> Every other day: Read one chapter in Game of Thrones -- 1 hour

After making this list, I wonder what it would be like if my life were published in a daily or weekly newsletter. Today Allison woke up, read her favorite blogs, wrote on her blog, and then proceeded to frolic in her love for all-things Harry Potter with her accounts on Hogwarts is Here and Pottermore. What a publication.

Also after making this list, I feel like I really need a life manager or something like that. I need a CEO of Allison's life. From this list, it clearly looks like I'm asking too much of myself. The funny part is that I'm not even married yet, and I don't even have kids. I can't imagine trying to do all of the things I love to do and raising children and having a career. I pay much respect to people who do have the time for all of that because, quite frankly, they're doing the impossible: enjoying life and making a life for themselves and their families.

I promised myself I would make this summer as relaxing as possible, but with all these little projects I created for myself -- like learning Japanese and staying on top of my favorite books and shows -- this summer looks like it will be far from relaxing. Stay tuned to find out if I survive the challenge of managing my limited time and tedious activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment