Sunday, May 25, 2014

Day One

Day one of what? you may ask. Day one of everything actually. Day one of wearing my arm brace, day one of meditating, day one of awareness, day one of becoming . . . of being.

Last night, wide awake in bed with the lamp on, I dreadfully thought of each day I have passed through without a second thought, and there are a lot of them. I didn't realize that each twenty-four hours is a brand new twenty-four hours, a new set of time to be better than I was before. But now is the time for awareness and realizing that each day is that special time.

Every day I can do better than I did yesterday. Today I meditated for an hour. Today I wore my arm brace as I listened to each breath float in and out of my body.

Many people think that a flow exists with active motion, especially those people who rely on hula hoops for their so-called "flow." Yes, that is one type of flow. It is a natural flow we have that we mix with an artificial activity. However, the ones who practice this flow do not realize the true flow that lies within ourselves. We are flowing, without moving. We are flowing, with only breathing.

Sitting still in the center of my floor, I realize this. All the thoughts in my head are flowing, and each one passes through my mind like clouds. But drawing my attention back to the flow of my breathing and the flow of each sensation as my hands rest on my knees and my feet touch the ground, I sense the true flow that exists within us. This flow is rarely noticed with all other stimulants we experience throughout the day: seeing, touching, tasting, hearing, smelling. These are distractions. When sitting quietly, hearing nothing but the flow of breath and the sensations of the body, I find peace of mind.

This peace of mind affects me so much that it becomes difficult to walk. It becomes difficult to stay awake afterward. Even now, I feel like I might drift off into sleep. But I am aware of these tendencies in my body. By being aware, I have more control over what I choose to do with myself at this very moment.


No comments:

Post a Comment