Sunday, May 18, 2014

Lay low

I get sick of how in love people are with their lives of luxury. I seriously get fed up. People want it ALL these days -- like, literally everything. They want a big house, a big yard, big vacations, a big money-making job, a big closet full of expensive clothes, a big shiny car, etc. All they want is to keep the money coming in their wallets.

I'm happy to say that that's exactly what I don't want for my life.

I don't want to spend the rest of my life worrying about money. Because first of all, who gives a flying fuck? When I die, will it really matter how much money I have? No. It matters to me more to have friends and family and to have met people and to have gone places that made me feel good. I met those people and went to those places because I wanted to, not because money allowed it to happen.

Basically I'm tired of people wanting so much. Desire really is the absolute sickest thing on this planet. Everyone's desire is so fucking dreadfully self-conceited. God damn it, all of you bastards are so self-centered it makes me want to puke my guts out and then punch your guts to death.

Have you ever paused for a moment and thought about someone other than yourself? Really, have you? Nothing cliche, just be honest with yourself. Have you ever just said "Hmm, I'm going to stop being myself for a moment and try to put myself in that guys shoes -- yeah, that guy, sitting on the street who doesn't have anything but the clothes on his back. Right now, I am that guy"? If you have done that, congratulations. Because for too fucking long, whenever someone sees a guy like that on the street, all I hear is a little bit of bitchy critique from someone else: "Did you see him? Holy hell, he looked awful. Looks like he wants money, but it also looks like he wasted all of it on those tattoos on his arms." Yeah, well, he probably did, and he's probably fucking regretting it. Duh. Wouldn't you regret it? Wouldn't you feel pretty shitty about yourself if you were him? And what if you heard someone say that about you while they were walking down the street? You'd want to grab them by the shoulders and shake them violently, right?

Because all anyone wants is for people to understand, for people to see things in light of other peoples' lives.

This judgment just comes from high standards. That's all it is. Critiquing a homeless man who sits on a street comes from the fact that the critiquing-person sets high standards for their life and for everything around them.

That's why, to me, it is so important to keep low standards. When I get up in the morning, this is my daily routine. I eat breakfast. I take a shower, which lasts twelve minutes. I scrunch some hair product in my hair, which takes two minutes. I brush my teeth, add another minute. Deodorant, thirty seconds. Put on clothes. Done. Literally, I'm done getting ready for the day.

Lesson: Minimize the attention you pay to yourself. Women spend an average three years of their lives just getting ready for each day. That's a disgusting statistic. Ladies, you just wasted three years of your lives fixing your face and cleaning your hair when you could haee been celebrating someone else's birthday, congratulating someone else's job promotion, or recognizing someone else's community achievement.

When you set low standards for yourself and your environment, you realize how special life's beauty truly is. At least, that is my experience. Expect less from people, and then when they actually do something special, you can be surprised, and maybe even amazed. When you expect the best, you will find that you get disappointed more often than you would probably prefer.

Also, when you set low standards, you will realize how much you really don't need that big house or that big car or those big vacations or that big backyard. Because, guess what: you really don't need them. Use less resources because I promise, they can be used for much better causes than for your own luxury. In the long run, you'll end up feeling a lot happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment